Record June for number of overseas visits to the UK

New statistics from VisitBritain have revealed a record June for the number of overseas visits to the UK. There were 3.5 million visitors to the UK for the month, an increase of 7% compared to the same time last year. 

Visitors to the UK also spent more in June this year, up 2% spending £2.2 billion. It brings the overall number of overseas visits to the UK for January to June this year to a record-breaking 19.1 million and up 9% compared to the same period in 2016. Overseas visitors spent a record £10.6 billion, up 11% on 2016. 

VisitBritain Director Patricia Yates said:

“Tourism is one of Britain’s most valuable export industries and this continued growth demonstrates the industry’s increasing importance as a key driver of economic growth across our nations and regions.

“The tourism industry is making a compelling case to be one of the industries included in the government’s industrial strategy to ensure Britain continues to compete globally. We have already revised our forecast upwards for 2017.”

Latest flight booking data from ForwardKeys shows that bookings for international arrivals to the UK from August to October are up 9% on the same period last year. Considering specific markets, bookings from China are up 20% and the US up 23%.

Last year set a record for inbound tourism to Britain on visits and spend with 37.6 million visits, up 4% on 2015 with visitors spending £22.5 billion, up 2%.

Tourism is worth £127 billion annually to the UK economy, creating jobs and boosting economic growth across its nations and regions.

Image credit Adobe Stock


No comments


Add Comment using the form below.

Fields marked are required.